by Rulla Amer
Create Unique Christmas Ornaments with Embroidery Hoops
Embroidery hoops are the perfect simple way to create an ornament with just a swatch of your favorite fabric, a piece of artwork, and some heat transfer vinyl. This simple Christmas ornament makes a quick gift or even a gift topper attached to a bag of wine or other wrapped gift. Learn how to make your own! Rulla Amer from the STAHLS’ laboratory shows you how:
- Favorite Fabric
- Wooden Embroidery Hoop
- Pretty Ribbon
- Heat Transfer Vinyl
- EZ Weeder®
- Craft Cutter or Other Vinyl Cutter
- Hot Glue
- Brush & Paints
- Favorite Art File
- Heat Press
8 Steps on How To Make Your Ornament:
- This step is optional – customize the color of your hoop with your favorite paint color or leave bare wood. If painting, only paint the outer hoop – it’s the only one that will show.
- Measure the inner part of the embroidery hoop.
- Cut a square of fabric large enough to fit on the hoop with a little fabric around the sides.
Tip: Make sure your fabric is wrinkle free before starting.
- Heat apply the decoration on the fabric swatch following the application instructions for your heat transfer vinyl.
- Place the decorated fabric on to the inner hoop and lock into place with the outer hoop.
- Trim excess fabric around the inner hoop – leaving a half inch allowance for gluing.
- Glue down excess fabric on the back. Optional – cut another circle of fabric to cover the back of the hoop, apply with hot glue.
- Add a loop made of ribbon for hanging and a bow or other embellishments to make your ornament one-of-a-kind.
Whether you are making this to decorate your own Christmas tree or to give as a gift to that special family member, teacher, or friend, this is something unique that will be appreciated for years to come.
One thought on “How to Make an Embroidery Hoop Ornament”
Thank you for sharing, this is a great and fun project to do!