by Rulla Amer
Create Unique Christmas Ornaments with Embroidery Hoops
Embroidery hoops are the perfect simple way to create an ornament with just a swatch of your favorite fabric, a piece of artwork, and some heat transfer vinyl. This simple Christmas ornament makes a quick gift or even a gift topper attached to a bag of wine or other wrapped gift. Learn how to make your own! Rulla Amer from the STAHLS’ laboratory shows you how:
- Favorite Fabric
- Wooden Embroidery Hoop
- Pretty Ribbon
- Heat Transfer Vinyl
- EZ Weeder®
- Craft Cutter or Other Vinyl Cutter
- Hot Glue
- Brush & Paints
- Favorite Art File
- Heat Press
8 Steps on How To Make Your Ornament:
- This step is optional – customize the color of your hoop with your favorite paint color or leave bare wood. If painting, only paint the outer hoop – it’s the only one that will show.
- Measure the inner part of the embroidery hoop.
- Cut a square of fabric large enough to fit on the hoop with a little fabric around the sides.
Tip: Make sure your fabric is wrinkle free before starting.
- Heat apply the decoration on the fabric swatch following the application instructions for your heat transfer vinyl.
- Place the decorated fabric on to the inner hoop and lock into place with the outer hoop.
- Trim excess fabric around the inner hoop – leaving a half inch allowance for gluing.
- Glue down excess fabric on the back. Optional – cut another circle of fabric to cover the back of the hoop, apply with hot glue.
- Add a loop made of ribbon for hanging and a bow or other embellishments to make your ornament one-of-a-kind.
Whether you are making this to decorate your own Christmas tree or to give as a gift to that special family member, teacher, or friend, this is something unique that will be appreciated for years to come.